In January 2006, there was published a joint decision of Kyiv City State Administration, Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Ukraine and the Ministry of Construction, Architecture and Housing and utility companies to conduct a nationwide open competition of the design the memorial complex to victims of famines ( an old name of Memorial).
On 28 of November 2006 there was adopted the Law of Ukraine "On the Holodomor of 1932-1933 in Ukraine", which was officially recognized the Holodomor 1932-1933 as genocide of Ukrainian people and provides the construction of the Holodomors’ victims’ Memorial in Ukraine.
National painter of Ukraine Anatoly Gaydamak is an author of idea of memorial complex. Yuriy Kovalyov is the chief architect of the project, Mykola Obezyuk and Petro Drozdovskiy are sculptors. Citations in the alley "Black boards" were picked up by the National painter of Ukraine Mykola Syadristy.
The act of readiness for exploitation the building of the Memorial signed on 24 December 2009. Memorial commissioned in July 12, 2010.
Holodomor victims’ Memorial is the first stage and consists of several parts: two sculptures of angels, which is a symbolic entrance to the Memorial area, square "Millstones of destiny", which is surrounded by millstones, in the center of the square there is a sculpture of a girl who is called "Bitter memories of childhood," "Candle of Memory", which is surrounded by a complex artistic compositions (storks, iron crosses, boulders, slabs engraved with the years of crime against the Ukrainian people), Hall of memory is the central part of the Memorial, which now serves as the museum, "blackboards alley " includes granite countertops with a list of localities which were in a special regime that exterminated population during the famine.
Since 2009 a light tradition in the Ukrainian society has been developed - every fourth Saturday in November there is honoring the memory of Holodomor victims. This day Kyiv city residents and visitors, with the participation of leaders of the Ukrainian state, go to the memorial and light candles in memory of the victims of genocide.
By Decree of President of Ukraine on February 3, 2010 №98 Memorial was incorporated in the State Protocol and Ceremonial of Ukraine. Heads of foreign states and senior officials arriving in Ukraine on an official visit, visit Holodomor victims’ Memorial.
In July 31, 2015 on the basis of the laws "On the Holodomor of 1932-1933 in Ukraine", "On conferment of legal entities and property of the names (aliases) individuals, anniversary and holiday dates, names and dates of historical events", "On culture", "On museums and Museum Affairs" and the support of the public, the museum was renamed the National Museum "Holodomors’ victims’ Memorial in Ukraine" in the National Museum "Holodomor victims’ Memorial".
Today the National Museum "Holodomor victims’ Memorial" exists in the memorial form of "Candle of Memory" and the full museum with the proper infrastructure is still not built.